Re: Speaker hum

Article: 7491 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: dsmcf@sc3d.demon.co.uk (Donald McFarlane)
Subject: Re: Speaker hum
Sender: news@demon.co.uk (Usenet Administration)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 23:50:19 GMT

In article <holbrook-0503952305340001@s1176.infonet.net>,
          holbrook@worf.netins.net (Ned Holbrook) wrote:
                        or cretins.net

[snip]
> ObSpeakerHack:
>    Setting up a pair of Radio Shack PA speakers for use in a recent stage
> production at my school.  The first problem, albeit a minor one, was
> finding wiring that was the necessary length.  I didn't even know they
> made 24 gauge wire in 100 foot lengths! 8-)  The second problem was the
> speakers themselves.  Either of their own accord or because of the PA amp
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gosh.  Did they make that noise even before you
plugged them in?  I don't think so.
> that they were hooked into, they constantly emitted an annoying hum.  The
> speakers in question had two 8-inch bass/midrange drivers and a
> horn-loaded tweeter.  Turns out that the hum was coming solely from the
> tweeters, and the solution actually involved duct tape.  In order to mute
> those annoying tweeters, I tore up some cloth I found backstage into two
> pieces, wadded them up, and duct taped them over the tweeter horns.
> Problem solved!
except when you want to listen to anything through them, of course.
[snip]

ObHack: I recently wanted to waterproof my speakers, so's I could use
them outdoors.  I got a bunch of PVC sheeting and duct tape, and....
Yeah, OK, I'm kidding.

ObRealHack: Having built a bass bin some while ago, I needed to move it.
No problem to start off with, but a couple of years later the hack comes
in actually finding three other people to help me lift it even when they
don't know they want to. Cheaper than castors or a fork lift, and more fun.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Or for that matter, know they don't want to!!!

--
preferred email address is dsmcf@sc3d.demon.co.uk unless otherwise specified
web home page URL is http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/students/ee3/dsm/main.html

Parent