Grabbing all your news (was: Re: Hacker FAQ...)

Article: 7744 of alt.hackers
From: maufr@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Nicolai E.M. Plum)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Grabbing all your news (was: Re: Hacker FAQ...)
Date: 30 Apr 1995 04:53:29 +0100

In article <3nmuvn$70@case.cyberspace.com>, wsantee@cyberspace.com
(Wes Santee) writes:

|> ObThinkingAboutItHack:
|>
|> My local provider provides static IP and hostnames, but doesn't
|> provide local newfeeds right now.  I'm too used to reading news on a
|> local spool and not over NNTP so I figure I might write a program to
|> pull my spool via standard NNTP and sort them out into a local-spool
|> directory heirarchy.  Has something like this already been done for
|> UNIX boxes?  Please don't say UUCP... :)

Well, if you're on a Linux box there's 'slurp' and company, available
on ftp.demon.co.uk in the net software for using demon's dialup
service. I'm not sure if there's source for that if you wish to run it
elsewhere.

ObNetworkingOnTheCheapHack:

Well, more like networking with no money at all.

I share a house with 2 other guys, we all have Linux boxes. We wanted
to play with networking but we didn't feel like spending any money on
Ethernet, so we used serial lines to do it all. NFS at 38400bps is
rather slow...

A bit limp, but I'm tired and can't think. Oh, maybe using gdb to fix
datastructures in an info server I run but didn't want to irritate the
users by taking down.

ObHackOnHoldPendingFinals:

Perl version of code mentioned above, so I can get my newsfeed from
somewhere more available and faster than news.demon.co.uk.

Nicolai
nicolai@dcs.warwick.ac.uk

Parent Parent Parent Parent Parent

Child