Re: Backwards Message Hack

Article: 7375 of alt.hackers
From: chambles@whale.st.usm.edu (John William Chambless)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Backwards Message Hack
Date: 13 Feb 1995 19:29:09 -0600

In article <3hlce4$37u@taco.cc.ncsu.edu>,
Michael John Haisma <mjhaisma@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:

>Unix Question: Yet again I prove my incompetence with the Unix environment.
>can't figure out why the command(s)

>ps -aux|grep <process name>|grep -v grep|cut -f2 -d" "|kill

>Won't kill the process(es) with that name.  If I leave off the kill, the

Try this:

kill `ps -aux|grep <process name>|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'`

obPatheticHack: writing a finger daemon that:

1. logs all finger requests, with who was fingered, and from where
2. returns a snotty message if the request is a "finger @mysitename"
3. returns a REALLY snotty message if it's "finger Root@mysitename"
4. does a normal finger if they're fingering a specific user
5. does a "finger@the.site.fingering-me", logs that info, AND
   sends it back to the fingerer.

--

Parent Parent gone gone