Re: Backwards Message Hack

Article: 7395 of alt.hackers
From: djimenez@rose.uthscsa.edu (Daniel Angel Jimenez)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Backwards Message Hack
Date: 16 Feb 1995 16:40:23 -0600

@mysitename"
Root@mysitename"
>4. does a normal finger if they're fingering a specific user
>5. does a "finger@the.site.fingering-me", logs that info, AND
>   sends it back to the fingerer.

ObHackResponse:

I did the same thing on my Linux box when I was a grad student.  I'd log the
name of the originating site, who they were fingering, and finger back to
the site.  This one guy kept fingering my machine over and over again, so
I hacked in.fingerd to print the winner of the "most frequently
fingering"
award whenever my box was fingered.  After a while, someone else started
fingering a lot and I put both their names in.  (I'm talking about scores
of fingers per from guy #1, so my reaction was kind of justified.  If you're
out there, Hi, Ed!  (Not you, Ed, the other Ed) :-).

ObHowToDefeatPatheticHack:

Just bounce a finger off of a random Unix site somewhere on the Internet,
and your victim can't tell where it's coming from.

ObHowToDoThat:

Oh, come on HaQ3R5.  If you can figure out how to post to alt.hackers, this
one should be easy.
--
Daniel Jimenez                     djimenez@rose.uthscsa.edu
"I've so much music in my head" -- Maurice Ravel, shortly before

Parent Parent gone Parent

Back to index