Re: Lucky hack

Article: 7406 of alt.hackers
From: btomlin@crl.com (Bruce Tomlin)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Lucky hack
Date: 17 Feb 1995 16:49:24 -0800

Michael Lea (mikelea@access.digex.net) wrote in alt.hackers:
>the cable that was in there did not have the right connections on it so I
>could swap the drives.  So I search around for awhile and can't find the
>right cable...so I decide to just swap the 3.5 drive out and put in one
>with a card edge connection.  Except the only 3.5 drive I can find is one

I would have done the simpler and more elegant solution:  change the
drive select jumpers on the drives themselves.  Those newfangled
"flip"
cables are for wussies.  REAL hackers use the drive select jumpers.

ObHack:

Last year, the internal floppy drive in my Mac IIci died, and after a
couple of months of procrastination (the immediate solution was to buy a
cheap Powerbook and fileshare the files to floppies) I bought a used
drive.

Since I prefer to keep my machine on 7/24, partly because I don't like to
wait for it to start up all the time and mostly because I like to keep
stuff in my 14 meg ramdisk (I can keep one running for months), I didn't
want to open the case.  (In fact, you have to remove the power supply to
get access to swap the floppy drive.)

So what I decided to do was rig up the new drive as an external drive.  It
turned out that the cable from my old 400k drive worked perfectly.  Then I
needed a case.  I started with a 3 1/2" floppy drive mounting bracket for
a PC (with a gaping hole for the front of a normal 3 1/2" PC drive) and
screwed the drive to that.  I still needed a lid for it, and here's where
the real hack comes in.  I had a dead PC power supply that just happened
to be the right size on top, and I put that over the drive and bent the
ends under.  Then I duct taped it to the front plate on the mounting
bracket.

It was a bit ugly, but it worked until the other day when I accidentally
bumped the power cord out of the back of the computer, and finally got
around to putting it inside the computer.  Fortunately it has a plastic
dust cover "condom"  around it, because the old drive was Dust Bunny
Central.  The old drive goes back into my hacked case after it gets
repaired... eventually.

Parent

Back to index