Re: serverless http connections

Article: 7416 of alt.hackers
From: a540ami@pic.ucla.edu (Ami Fischman)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: serverless http connections
Date: 18 Feb 1995 21:06:41 GMT

In <3i5d6i$156@mloeff01.elec.mid.gmeds.com>, Paul Smith
(wz40ft@elec.mid.gmeds.com) wrote:
> In article AzI@nova.sarnoff.com, Hans <hab3@cornell.edu> writes:
> >ObHack: I have no external http server, so.....I stuck my home page
in my
> >finger!
> >http://rsrch1.cit.cornell.edu:79/ hab3
> >.....note there must be a space between "79/" and
"hab3"  (this is OS
> >dependent)

> This looked pretty cool until it didn't work for me.
> When I put an html file in my $HOME/.plan (which I assume is where it
should go), and
> pointed my browser at it, I simply got:
>	Login name: GET		In real life: ???
> displayed in the browser.	Looks like some GET command is being
interpreted by
> finger as the username to finger.	Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Nothing -- you're just using an OS whose fingerd doesn't accept multiple
names from port 79.  It expects something like "username", instead of
"GET / username", which is what a browser sends.  A more reliable
finger
scheme is to find a host with the cgi-bin distribution, and go:
http://host.with.cgi.bin/cgi-bin/finger?username@your.host

and put your page in .plan.  Of course, if your machine runs an ftpd and
accepts anon. logins, the ftp scheme is much better.

					--Ami
					  Have YOU hugged YOUR smurf today?
Dentist, n.:
	A Prestidigitator who, putting metal in one's mouth, pulls
coins out of one's pockets.

Parent

Child Child Child

Back to index