Re: serverless http connections

Article: 7423 of alt.hackers
From: lzeltser@blue.seas.upenn.edu (Lenny Zeltser)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: serverless http connections
Date: 19 Feb 1995 21:01:20 GMT

In article <3i5nh1$12io@saba.info.ucla.edu>,
Ami Fischman <a540ami@pic.ucla.edu> wrote:
> > In article AzI@nova.sarnoff.com, Hans <hab3@cornell.edu>
writes:
> > ObHack: I have no external http server, so.....I stuck my home
page in my
> > Finger!  http://rsrch1.cit.cornell.edu:79/ hab3
	[stuff skipped]
> A more reliable finger
> scheme is to find a host with the cgi-bin distribution, and go:
> http://host.with.cgi.bin/cgi-bin/finger?username@your.host
> and put your page in .plan.

These are great ideas!
Another challenge would be to have your finger display am HTML page when
it gets a request through a WWW client, and regular user info when
it's a standard finger request.

ObHack: Implementing the challenge above :)
 Check out a page at
  http://www-ns.rutgers.edu/htbin/finger?entry=lzeltser@seas.upenn.edu
 It seems to work fine with Netscape, but Mosaic and Lynx have some trouble
 interpreting HTML's <a href="	"> command.  (Something for
 me to work on)

-- Lenny

Parent Parent

Child Child