Re: Sendmail security holes..

Article: 7451 of alt.hackers
From: set@oryx.llnl.gov (Sam Trenholme)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Sendmail security holes..
Date: 27 Feb 1995 05:08:12 GMT

Ben Lyon <blyon@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

soda.CSUA.berkeley.edu is not a Sparcstation. It is a Sequent Symmetry
machine, running, I believe, 20 386-dx16 processors in paralell.

>CAN YOU GRASP THIS YOU WORTHLESS JUDGEMENTAL PIECT OF SHIT?

I used to have an account on Soda, and my experience with the machine is
that there are a lot of very rude people on the machine, who have nothing
better to do than flame people for not knowing UNIX. I finally made a big
stink about it, and now soda at least has help@soda.berkeley.edu for UNIX
questions. Good hackers at Soda, though. Great plce to learn UNIX by
watching other people do cool UNIX commands, in the same manner that
alt.hackers gives me cool UNIX clue.

You can check out an ongoing chat group they have at
soda.csua.berkeley.edu by fingering lwall@soda.csua.berkeley.edu, and in
fact join in on the chat with "rwall" or by mailing lwall@soda.

ObNetJunkieHack:

Just happened... the modem to this machine wasn't answering the phone,
cutting me off from the internet. I'm a hopeless net junkie, so
this was an unacceptable situtaion for me. What did I do? I made a long
distance call that gave me net access, albeit one that is too expensive
for me to stay very long on.

After getting in this machine through a long-distance call, I went over
to /dev, looked for something that looked like a modem, and decided that
"ttyd00" was the most likely candidate, because "ttyd00"
is the tty you're
logged in to when you call this machine.

I then typed "cat > /dev/ttyd00" and typed in "AT s0=1"
multiple times,
hoping the modem would get the hint. I then hung up as quickly as
possible-- my job at Burger King doesn't give me money to spare on
long-distance-- and called this machine direct (local call). It answered,
although it took two rings for some strange reason. I'm not sure if this
bit of hacking is what fixed the modem, but at least I'm on the net again!

BTW, if anyone can read the secret message, and has an answer to the
question besides "no", please email me.

--
Sam Trenholme-finger set@ocf.berkeley.edu-PGP:F49C2183787CBC49717524ED25CC90C9

Parent

Child Child Child Child Child Child Child

Back to index