Re: Need info on connecting pager to pc.

Article: 7481 of alt.hackers
From: atilghma@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Adam Tilghman)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Need info on connecting pager to pc.
Date: 4 Mar 1995 19:40:12 GMT

In article <3j5bbk$gcm@fullfeed.msn.fullfeed.com> gregc@fullfeed.com
(Greg Corey) writes:
>Secondly, the only way you could really hook the pager up would be to know
>what the 6 or so pins that connect the two card parts are (at least, I'm
>assuming your Bravo Express is similar to my Bravo Plus)... since I can't
>even think of why you would WANT to hook a pager up to the PC,

	I'd *love* to plug a pager into my cheesy 286 laptop.  My
home PC would encode my e-mail into a funky 12-character alphabet
and send it, 22 numbers at a time, to my laptop.  Slow, but hey:-)
That's what unlimited pages/month service plans are for!

	HP sells an add-on to its HP100LX (or whatever it's become
these days) that's an alphanumeric pager receiver.  I dunno if it's
rs232-based, or if it uses their own bus, or what, but it might
be worth looking into...

		-- adam

ObIdiotDOSHack:  getting DOS 6.0 to install itself on that cheesy Sharp
laptop.  You see, it has DOS 4.0 in ROM, and no floppy drive.
DOS wanted to save a "backup" of the DOS 4 configuration on the
floppy drive...  Setting the ROM disk to drive A:, and running
SETUP with some flag (SETUP /? listed it) caused it to search for
drive A: but not attempt to save anything to it.

--
Adam G. Tilghman | email:	       | voice:		 | Rng FCNZ naq yvir.
		 | atilghma@mib.org    | +1 619 658 0743 | Cyhf PurrmJvm?

gone Parent

Back to index