Re: Power out hack

Article: 7537 of alt.hackers
From: gregc@fullfeed.com (Greg Corey)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Power out hack
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 16:13:00 CST

In article <3ksgc3$oun@wanda.pond.com> on 23 Mar 1995 13:58:11 -0500,
russotto@wanda.pond.com (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

>In article <3kr23v$bgg@fullfeed.msn.fullfeed.com>,
>Greg Corey <gregc@fullfeed.com> wrote:

>}Actually, that's easy.  In a WELL wired house, neutral isn't tied to
ground.
>} If nothing was plugged in (or if nothing grounded the neutral line) you
>}could plug a HOT line into a NEUTRAL line and not blow the fuse.
>
>Not so.  If nothing was plugged in which grounded the neutral line,
>you could plug hot into neutral without affecting any GFCI-- but the
>breaker would trip immediately.  That's a textbook short circuit.

Oh get a clue, will you?  IF NEUTRAL IS TRULY NEUTRAL, TYING HOT TO IT WILL
TURN IT TO A HOT.  Circuit breakers and fuses blow when too much power goes
through them... the only way that can happen is if it is GROUNDED.

>}In fact, that's almost certainly what he did, he hooked a HOT wire (black)
>}and a NEUTRAL wire (white) into the same side of an electrical outlet or
>}something he was wiring.  Not tough to do... but hard not to NOTICE!
>
>More likely at some point he tied the neutral to the hot (white) when
>continuing the circuit, and left the neutral coming in hanging loose.
>I think you've got the colors backwards, BTW.

Nope, you're wrong.  I've rewired practically my whole darned house because
the guys who built it had no clues.  In a CORRECTLY wired building, Black is
HOT and white is NEUTRAL.  Go consult a wiring book at your local library if
you don't believe me.  BTW:  If NEUTRAL IS TRULY NEUTRAL, it is ALWAYS
"hanging loose".  Neutral is frequently grounded, however, and
that's what
you're thinking of.

>}Tell your contractor to get a wiring checker.  $3 at the local hardware
>}store.  Actually, tell your contractor to take a hike!
>
>A wiring checker shows hot<->neutral, hot<->ground, and
neutral<->ground.
>Normally, the first two are on.   In the situation the poster
>described, you'd see all three on, and the breaker would trip as soon
>as you plugged most 3-pronged equipment into it.

Then he'd know there was a problem, wouldn't he?!

>Obhack: just about anything I've done at work lately, but there's not
>room here for context.

This is so lame, I won't even discuss it.  If you wish to respond to this
post and NOT get flamed, include a REAL OBHACK.  Remember, no hack too
small.

OBwiringHACK:  So in aforementioned house, I wanted a switch to turn the
lights on and off in the living room.  The problem?  Nothing at switch level
except an electrical outlet I really NEED.  SO... cut a bunch of plaster
out, replaced the old breakout box with a double-wide breakout box, ran a
neutral wire to the outlets the two lamps were plugged into, and removed the
neutral wires leading to the rest of the circuit.  Now, neutral is only tied
to those outlets when the light switch is turned on.

PS:  I'm not an electrician, so I don't recommend trying this at home
without consulting an electrician first.  I have NO idea what would happen
if I plugged 3-prong devices into those outlets... and don't really want to
find out.

--
 -- Greg Corey     |      Because I don't really want to get sued...
gregc@fullfeed.com | All opinions are my own, no warranty made or implied.

Parent gone Parent gone Parent

Child

Back to index