Re: What is the problem with Finger?

Article: 7545 of alt.hackers
From: killourh@nunki.usc.edu (Patrick Killourhy)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: What is the problem with Finger?
Date: 26 Mar 1995 16:51:41 -0800
Sender: killourh@nunki.usc.edu

marlowe (marlowe@io.com) wrote:

: : Finger was removed from the system by the administrators as a possible
: : security hole.

No _outgoing_ finger? Your sysad's an asshole. I've never had to try (for
lack of asshole sysadmins to deal with), but I can't imagine you'd have
any trouble ftp'ing and compiling your own finger client... it's unlikely
that they're using packet filtering to deny services, not at a .edu site...

ObHack: I needed to save the console output from a crash when I was
trying to get NetBSD up on my Mac, and didn't want to have to re-type
it.. I was using an off-brand wyse 50 clone terminal as my console.. I
rebooted the system after the crash, leaving the crash on the terminal,
moved the null-modem cable I had from the terminal's modem jack to the
printer port, loaded a terminal program on the Mac, and hit the print
screen key on the terminal. Save it to a text file, and I have my output...

--
Patrick Killourhy	Phone: (213) 745-9441

Parent Parent

Child Child Child