Re: What is the problem with Finger?

Article: 7548 of alt.hackers
From: rjones@rjones.oz.net (Ry Jones)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: What is the problem with Finger?
Date: 27 Mar 1995 06:15:32 GMT

Patrick Killourhy (killourh@nunki.usc.edu) wrote:
: marlowe (marlowe@io.com) wrote:

: : : Finger was removed from the system by the administrators as a possible
: : : security hole.

: No _outgoing_ finger? Your sysad's an asshole.

Just do this:
alias finger "telnet \!* finger"

Then just type finger hostname. It'll say "connected"... then hit
return for a full list, or type in the username and hit return for a
partial list. Or partial names... whatever.

ObHackInProgress: I'm writing a little program for a tty on my linux
box that will monitor the state of my battery charger and send me
email on the status of each pocket when it changes, or supply online
status through a finger interface. I'm trying for this:

finger recharge@wicker.com
Front pocket: Trickle Charging (Green Light)
Back pocket: Empty (No Light)

The hardware interface should be easy, but I want to do it
non-destructively (I want to be able to use the charger without the
computer). Maybe a data jack on the side to bypass the LED's?

--
Finest handcrafted code since 1987.

Parent Parent Parent

Back to index