Re: usenet still out there?

Article: 7565 of alt.hackers
From: wsantee@cyberspace.com (Wes Santee)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: usenet still out there?
Date: 30 Mar 1995 13:36:16 -0800

 sez:
>A question that will no doubt show how clueless and
>Out of Touch I am:
>
>  Does Usenet, in the sense of a bunch of folks with Unix(tm)y
>  systems that phone each other up periodically and exchange
>  files via the uucp program, still exist?

Yes, but you pretty much only see it for companies (and private users)
who don't have direct Internet connections.  Some people (like myself)
have also discovered the wonderful world of off-line reading via SOUP
packet mailers, readers, and processors.  The advantages here lie in
that you only need a simple shell account to do the packet exchange.

ObSocialEngineeringHack:

We wanted to watch the fourth season of Black Adder in one of the A/V
confrence rooms during lunch today, but they were all busy.  So we
found the room with the fewest people, distrubed their meeting and
said "We have this room scheduled right now".  They got up to leave
and we got an hour of undisturbed british comedy.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee              | I feel my body weakened by the years      )
( wsantee@cyberspace.com   | As people turn to gods of cruel design    )

Parent

Back to index