Re: c00l hack

Article: 7577 of alt.hackers
From: coneil@tiger.lsu.edu (Clayton O'Neill)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: c00l hack
Date: 2 Apr 1995 01:28:26 -0600

Wes Santee (wsantee@cyberspace.com) wrote:
: ObHack:  Hmmmm....haven't really done much recently.  *rummage around
: room looking for something interesting*.  This looks good...back when
: I was working at Symantec a customer called and said his Novell
: partition was completely shot.  I had heard at the time that Novell
: used a small (>5 MB) DOS-16 partition and then the rest is Novell.
: His boot sector was still in tact at Cyl 1, Side 0, Sec 1 so I got the
: size of the partition, calculated the partition values from that, then
: tacked the Novell partition on to the end.  Booted up and everything
: worked great.  Guy sent me a mug for my troubles. :)

Boy, you must have worked in a weenie business group.  When *I* worked at
Symantec half my job was fixing drives of customers that didn't read
compatiblity warnings before installing one of our products (A security
product).  That usually entailed rebuilding the MBR, boot sector (Which
is on Cyl 0, Side 1, Sect 1, BTW), and the first sector of the root
directory.  Actually got pretty good at it, but it was always fun dealing
w/drives w/multiple partitions, or ones that hadn't been set up in the
CMOS correctly when they had been formatted.

ObSecurityHack:  Writing a program to unlock "locked" files of
customers
when I was finished rebuilding their drives.  Pretty simple (XOR
variation), but undertandable considering the need for encryption speed.
More intersted would have been figuring out the LCG encryption what was
the proprietary (Damn I hope I don't get sued by Symantec).

ObALittleBetterHack:  When the Netware server was backing up w/a beta
product abended in the same spot for the third time I was getting a
little peeved.  So I dropped it into the console debugger and had a look
at it.  Turns out it was referencing a null pointer, so I figure, "Hey,
what the hell" and incremented IP by the size of instruction.
Typed "g"
to restart at the new IP and Voila!, it continued the backup.

coneil@tiger.lsu.edu - <Insert some witty saying here>
oneill@bit.csc.lsu.edu - http://bit.csc.lsu.edu/~oneill/

Parent Parent

Child Child Child