Re: OBHack...

Article: 7680 of alt.hackers
From: jeff@diversion.stu.rpi.edu (Diversion)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: OBHack...
Date: 18 Apr 1995 08:43:39 GMT

crosby@cs.colorado.edu wrote:
: ObHack:

: A vi-macro plot program to go with my vi calculator.  Basically,
: you just give it a list of numbers and it puts an '*' in the approriate
: position.  Really easy to do actually.

Ok, the plotter shouldn't be too hard (given something like a
screen of all blanks), but I can't figure out how a calculator would
be done.  Any pointers/source?

Hmmm, a post needs a hack...

ObHack:  I was using Windoze earlier tonite and just got so frustrated at it
(it's really amazing that it doesn't turn more people off to computers, but
I guess they don't know that it's possible for a computer to run for months
without crashing) that I took an axe and hacked the thing to bits.  Not real
productive, but it did let off a littlt steam.

Ok, lame...

ObHackProductIdea: sell styrofoam (the environmentally friendly kind)
computers with an axe (dunno what kind so that people aren't tempted to use
it on their actual computers) so everyone can be a computer hacker...

ObGuitarHack: I regularly reuse broken strings on my guitar by simply moving
them down a half inch or so and resetting them in the bridge (when they
break at the bridge, which they always seem to) - yeah, it sounds like crap
after a while, but it's fine for practicing, and damn useful when you don't
have a spare... Anyway, I got a new set of strings a while ago and the damn
high E string broke up by the tuning head as I was tightening it.  I didn't
have a spare and I couldn't get back to the music store, so I tried splicing
it with a piece of the old string - no dice, it crimps and breaks when you
try to knot it, and wrapping it doesn't hold up to tightening anyway.
Eventual solution: take the ball off the string and wrap one piece around
the outside and the other through the middle and solder the ends together
after twisting.  Somehow it holds up to the strain of tightening,  and
playing isn't a problen because of the locking nut.  I haven't replaced it
yet, because I haven't gotten to a music store in a while, and I'm cheap.

ObI'mLazyHack: I got tired of looking up the passwords in the manual for
some game, so I searched through all the binaries for the text of the
passwords, and there they were, in plaintext.  Binary editor, zero them out,
and now I just hit return to the code protection.

Oh, well, maybe I'll do better next time...

Diversion

--
"I can see 'em                       \\  International Associates
   I can see 'em                      \\  "Anyone, anytime, anywhere"

Parent Parent

Child

Back to index