Re: Snow free editing for VHS without flying erase heads

Article: 7697 of alt.hackers
From: hagst3+@pitt.edu (Herschel A Gelman)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Snow free editing for VHS without flying erase heads
Date: 22 Apr 1995 03:52:16 GMT

In article <3n5m6p$778@potogold.rmii.com>,
Adam Felson <afelson@rainbow.rmii.com> wrote:
>I have a trick for eliminating snow when recording a show right after a
>previously recorded one.  Salespeople would have you think that you need
>a deck w/ flying erase heads, but this trick gets around that. It has
>worked for every vcr I've owned so far.

Actually, I thought that what's promoted as a bigger advantage of flying
erase heads is that when you stop recording, there's no erased section
after the newly recorded part.  That way, you can stop recording at a
precise point and whatever you were recording over will continue right away.

ObHack:  Getting the same effect with a regular VCR.  I noticed that one
of the heads could be easily moved away from the tape when it was
recording, and this happened to be the erase head.  If you hold it away
>from  the tape while recording, it won't erase anything ahead of the
current record position, so when you stop recording there's a clean break
to whatever was there before.  The drawback, of course, is that anything
that's recorded without the erase head clearing the path first has some
extra "effects" to it, like the noise you get when you first start
recording something (since the erase head hadn't gotten to that yet either).

--
---------------- Herschel Gelman ----------- hagst3+@pitt.edu -----------------

Parent

Back to index