Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7746 of alt.hackers
From: T.R.Matthews@bradford.ac.uk (Squidge)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: 1 May 1995 18:06:58 GMT

: local spool and not over NNTP so I figure I might write a program to
: pull my spool via standard NNTP and sort them out into a local-spool
: directory heirarchy.  Has something like this already been done for
: UNIX boxes?  Please don't say UUCP... :)

Gday. Try the latest uqwk (v1.8) it can grab news from an NNTP server,
into user definable directorys.

ObNotBadForAFirstTimeHack:

I stick newmail in my .login to tell me of new mail. However, if it sends
me a 'new mail' warning in the middle of a screen update (Connected to a
LAN over a 9600 serial) then I miss it. As the mail is usually important
and needs replying, I don't like this.

First of all, I thought about grabbing the source and recompiling it
so it would send an unmissable warning.

However, the source for the few versions I could find weren't as good as the
one here, so I thought of another plan. I'm going to get the binary, and
hex edit a 0x007 or two into the printed string. Should make the screen
flash quite well, hopefully :)

Except being new to the Unix system means that I'm probably not noticing
that the data part of the binary has a checksum or something ;)

--
                          t.r.matthews@bradford.ac.uk
             They say that everyone has their own personal demon.

Parent Parent Parent Parent Parent

Child Child

Back to index