Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7750 of alt.hackers
From: s9577238@cs.sun.ac.za (D van der Westhuysen)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: 2 May 1995 08:44:00 GMT

Well, the fact that IBM only provides 3.5" disks is anoying, but not
fatal.

ObHack: Installing OS/2 Warp with a 5.25" A: drive (the easy way)

The answer is simple: First format 2 1.2mb floppies to 1.44mb using the
dos program fdformat or something similar. Then change the CMOS drive
type for A: from 1.2mb 5.25" to 1.44mb 3.5". Next use diskcopy
to copy
the 3.5" disk onto the floppy  (diskcopy won't complain if the cmos
settings match.) Repeat for the other disk. You now have 5.25" OS/2
installation disks.

Now simply boot the floppy. (Take note, to read the disks under OS/2
the CMOS drive type should be 1.44mb 3.5")

ObLameishHack:

My ide controller has a jumper to swap drive A: and B:. Snarf'ed a
turbo-switch lead and replaced the turbo button by a toggle switch.
Replaced the jumper by the lead and mounted the toggle switch at the
back of the pc. Now I simply power down, flip the switch and change the
CMOS settings.

Deon

Parent Parent gone

Back to index