Re: Boolean Grep?

Article: 7821 of alt.hackers
From: seebs@solutions.solon.com (Peter Seebach)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Boolean Grep?
Date: 15 May 1995 10:13:48 -0500

In article <3oqqi6$f5e@sue.cc.uregina.ca>,
Bruce Guenter <guentbru@HERCULES.CS.UREGINA.CA> wrote:
>>Ack!!  That's disgusting.  Didn't your parents teach you not to use
>>csh in public?  Try /bin/sh instead:

>Amen!  Or even better, /bin/bash (or /bin/ksh if all else fails)

sh over ksh over bash, for simple scripts.  Otherwise, ksh over bash over
sh.  But sh wins big over bash; it's small, fast, and clean.  bash is
laden with bogosities.  ksh is cleaner.

rc is the correct solution, of course.

>>grep pattern file1 file2 file3 > /dev/null && echo true

>I just don't get it.  Why send output to /dev/null when *grep has an
>option to make it silent:

>grep -s pattern file1 file2 file3 && echo true

At Least One Grep has no '-s' option.

ObHack: A program which checks the return status of commands and returns
'true' or 'false'.  It almost works.  It probably would have worked had I not
been using hp-ux.

-s
--
Peter Seebach - seebs@solutions.solon.com  -- seebs@intran.xerox.com
C/Unix proto-wizard -- C/Unix questions? Send mail for help.

Parent Parent Parent

Back to index