Re: Lame Newbie

Article: 7891 of alt.hackers
From: dilatush@raptor.sccs.swarthmore.edu (Jeremy Todd Dilatush)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Lame Newbie
Date: 27 May 1995 16:26:49 GMT

test@cam.ac.uk wrote:
: Is it really this easy? If so, what are the legalities of doing this? If my
: sysadmin find out, what can they do about it?

It is this easy.

As to the legalities... I dunno.  Since you didn't try to impersonate anyone,
and you used the system as it was meant to be used (at least in the case
of how _this_ newsgroup is supposed to be posted to).

What your sysadmin can do is another matter.  Every site seems to have a few
people with the attitude 'if you know how to do it we don't want you here.'
It's possible that if such a person is in a position of power, they may
be annoying.

However, I doubt your sysadmin will see anything wrong with your posting
here.  They're more likely to post a followup complaining about your lack
of an ObHack.

Speaking of which, here's my

ObHack.
	Kind lame this time.  Well, actually, it's cool but it can only
be done as root.  I edited the file /var/adm/utmpx (that's on an IRIX
system; it'll be different for other systems) using emacs (yes, emacs
edits binaries) and replaced the occurences of :0.0 with :666.	So a
finger -l would show me logged in from :666.

Hmmmm.	That was a bit lame.  So I'll add another semi-ObHack on to make
it complete.

ObHack II.
	You recall a little while back when Steve Belcyk (sp?) posted
about his WebMineSweeper hack.	Well, I tried it out and it was cool.
So I decided to write my own hack.  I present: WebTicTacToe.  It works
with netscape and mosaic; lynx doesn't seem to have too much trouble
with it either.
	The URL is http://www.cs.swarthmore.edu/~dilatush/ttt.d

Unfortunately, the part that plays the game isn't very good -- I can
beat it easily, when TTT should be always tied.  But it was a fun hack
for a monday morning.

Parent

Child Child Child

Back to index