Sam Trenholme's webpage

Re: Minesweeper solver

Article: 7913 of alt.hackers
From: (Eric Postpischil)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Minesweeper solver
Date: 30 May 1995 15:26:13 GMT

Sam Wood ( wrote, in some article that expired:

[Assertion that Minesweeper guarantees the first chosen square is safe.]

>not true. It's tru that it would be simple to implement, but it just
>isn't the case. I have on many occasions hit a mine on the first square.
>try the corners. i have never seen a case where no corner had a mine.

I tried the corners.  Did you?  I set Minesweeper (from Windows 3.1) to
24x30, with 667 mines (the maximum it will accept).  In 20 successive
games, I tried each of the corners five times as the first square.  No
bomb ever appeared in the first chosen square.  If the bombs are placed
by random choice from a uniform distribution, the chance of 20 squares
independently not having bombs in them is ((24*30-667)/(24*30))^20, or
about one in 46 sextillion.

ObHack:  Need to use Recorder to run two macros at different times in
the same session without user intervention (both to work around bugs in
other products).  But Recorder won't activate a second instance (running
it a second time just activates the first window), and Recorder doesn't
provide any way to terminate itself -- It just hangs around after
executing a macro.  Solution:  Copy Recorder to a different file name.
The newly named file would run even with the original Recorder still
active, although not vice-versa.  (More of a kludge than a hack, but oh

                                -- edp (Eric Postpischil)
                                "Always mount a scratch monkey."

Disclaimer:  The opinions of Digital Equipment Corporation do not reflect mine.

Public key fingerprint:  8e ad 63 61 ba 0c 26 86  32 0a 7d 28 db e7 6f 75.
To get PGP, FTP /pub/pgp/ or from

Back to index