Re: little calendar hack

Article: 7933 of alt.hackers
From: kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Ken Hornstein)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: little calendar hack
Date: 1 Jun 1995 11:47:07 -0400

In article <tdi.801952834@choices>, Tod D. Ihde
<tdi@choices.jmalaw.com> wrote:
>ObHack:
>I recently mounted a momentary switch on my steering wheel. When someone's
>tailing me, I just thumb the switch until they back off. Unfortunately, it
>doesn't seem to work on some people.

So what does the switch _do_?  (I assume it must do _something_, as I can't
imagine that people back off just because you're pressing a switch that
does nothing :-) )  Trigger your brake lights, perhaps?

ObHack: I've been playing around with a small MC68HC11 board called the Mini
Board (developed at MIT for robotics work).  A company called Coactive
Aesthetics did a port of GCC to the 68HC11, and they ported a free assembler/
linker to it, but the linker didn't have any concept of library files.  This
meant if you had a library of routines that you wanted to include, you had to
list every object file that contained routines you used in your C code.  You
couldn't just include them _all_, as the chip I was using only had 2K of
EEPROM and space is at a premium.  I looked at the linker, figured out how it
worked, and made it so if it found any unresolved symbols it looked through
a BSD ar file for definitions of these symbols.  Voila!  A linker that now
knows how to search library files.  Now I have a nice library of routines that
only get included if I use them in my C code.

--Ken

Parent Parent Parent

Child

Back to index