Re: What is this System? Help!

Article: 8432 of alt.hackers
From: a00563@giant.mindlink.net (Dave Kirsch)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: What is this System? Help!
Date: 11 Aug 1995 21:48:25 GMT

In article <40g73l$ipj@leia.ursinus.edu>,
Jonathan Bodarky <jbodarky@leia.ursinus.edu> wrote:
>Trying... Connected to URSPREP.URSINUS.EDU.
>

>User Access Verification
>
>Password:
>Password:
>% Bad passwords

Looks like a Cisco router (try http://www.cisco.com).

ObHack: Ah, the good ole days of hacking Apple II games.  A friend of mine
bought Robotron for the Apple II (great game--one of the few you could just
totally zen out on, right up there with Lode Runner).  Of course, the disk
was copy protected.  So, I decide to break it and copy it.

Boot game.  Just as the title screen loads up, hit Reset twice.  I'm now
in Cassette mode.  Poke around with the monitor (call -151) and learn that
the copy protection is just a hacked DOS 3.2!  Which the game is *still*
sitting in memory, boot a normal DOS 3.3 disk.   BSAVE (binary save) the game
right out of RAM onto the disk.  Turn machine off, back on.  BRUN the game
right from disk.  Wham!  There it goes.

So, not only did I copy the game, I also converted it to a normal binary
on a regular disk.  I kept a copy of Robotron on my Bank Street Writer
(lame word processor for the Apple II) disk.  :)

--
/// Dave 'Zoid' Kirsch    __ | http://mindlink.net/zoid
a00563@giant.mindlink.net \/ | SysAdm - MIND LINK! Communications Corp.

Parent