Re: rlogin revealed

Article: 8438 of alt.hackers
From: beeble@river.biddeford.com (McArthur Library)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: rlogin revealed
Date: 14 Aug 1995 13:40:27 GMT

Chris Sonnack (cjsonnack@mmm.com) wrote:
: like mine (we have a nosy manager-wannabe co-employee who likes to
: do a ps and see what we're doing...the dork also scans .sh_history
: in our $HOME directories, if you can believe that crap!):

Well, I don't know about the task-hiding thing, but if your "friend"
(note sarcasm) likes to read your history file, perhaps you could put
something in to delete said file on login. Then again, if you actually
*use* your history features, this won't do you any good.

Hmmm.. Need an ObHack, need an ObHack... OK, here goes...

ObHack:
   A little lame, but here it is: I wanted to sample some sounds from a
tape of a Doctor Who episode, but the VCR is in 1 room, the computer is
in the other, and I wasn't about to move either. So, I got out my CD
player/radio/tape deck, plugged an 1/8"-RCA cable from the VCR's audio
out jack into the tape player, taped the sounds, then took the radio to
the computer, connected a 1/8"-1/8" cable from the player to
the sound
card, then fired up my sound editor and recording off the tape. It sounds
pretty good for the fact that I used a fairly old audio tape for an
intermediary.

--
Chris Pinard
McArthur Library