Re: Keyboard case hack

Article: 8443 of alt.hackers
From: tjohnson@cobber.cord.edu (Protius)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Keyboard case hack
Date: 15 Aug 1995 00:09:59 -0500

In article <40ovr0$f7s@zip.eecs.umich.edu>,
Chris Hiner <chiner@quark.gmi.edu> wrote:
>Jeff Mercer (riffer@freenet2.freenet.ufl.edu) wrote:
><snip>
>: For my next case hack, I'm going to take the computer case and use
something

>Reminds me of a hack at my last job.... (not much of one....)
>
>Obhack: My last job, I was constantly getting a different computer
>to work with, as the old one got sold/scavenged for parts...
>Well, one day, someone needed a computer case, and we didn't have
>any spares around...  Except... mine  :)
>
>Chris Hiner
>--
>chiner@quark.gmi.edu

A neighbor of mine had most of a computer sitting on a shelf.  It
had died from a microsoft infection and been abandoned.  So I adopted
the remains, and had a nice X terminal in a few days.  Interestingly
enough, under FreeBSD the machine was rock solid.  The only problem
was that it had no case, it was in a cardboard box.  I figured that
she would want the machine back in a slightly less breakable configuration.
The week before I had built a canned beverage dispenser out of plexaglass,
and was still in a very transparent state of mind.  $42 worth of plexaglass
and glue later, I had a minitower with two 5.25" drive bays, two 3.5"
bays, seven slots, and absolutely no shielding.  I can pick it up great
on 144.01 MHz.  It looks great, and my neighbor is an elementary school
teacher so I think it will be perfect in her class room.

The case I built before this one was a pizzabox.  Three large Pizza Patrol
pizza boxes to be exact.  (218-241-9000, Moorhead MN)

-Tommy   KE4ILZ
tjohnson@cobber.cord.edu

Parent Parent

Back to index