Re: "Hackers", the movie (*RANT!*)

Article: 8631 of alt.hackers
 pipex!news.sprintlink.net!in2.uu.net!news.ultranet.com!redbox.newhackcity.net!sciri
From: sciri@redbox.newhackcity.net (Digital Grindage)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: "Hackers", the movie (*RANT!*)
Date: 19 Sep 1995 20:23:11 GMT

Philip A. Wilk (pwilk@garnet.berkeley.edu) wrote:

: that was the first post in 14 months that i liked in alt.hackers enough
: to save. i liked the movie. i too did not play well with others. lest
: this turn into an eleeter than thou, i sign off.

Ditto.  The movie was fun.  It turned the process of hacking into a video
game, but the spirit was there.  I wouldn't say "that's what hacking is
like," but it gave an idea of the mental process.  Hell, can you
imagine an
accurate "hacker" movie?  "Okay, look at this assembly.
Okay, if I do this,
and change this, ooooh!  Look how I can play Dueling Banjos on my floppy
drives!"

: obhack: ummm, i have been pretty unmotivated recently. How about, DOS
: will only recognize 1023 cyl. and I have a 2.5" drive for my aero with
: more. So I just formatted it to 1023. Did not lose too much ... i think
: it was 512Mb vs. 540Mb. Don't sweat the small stuff. (compaq thinks you
: can not upgrade them).

ObSimilarHack:  About 3 months ago, I upgraded my RapidCAD386dx80 (don't
even ask, it's the most whacked out motherboard I've ever seen) from a 240MB
HDD to a 1.3GIG HDD.  Using Linux, I fdisked a 25MB Swap partition as the
first slice, and a native Linux boot partition up through the 1024th cyl. as
the second slice.  Pissed that I couldn't use anything above that, I just
said "what the hell" and created a partition for 1025 and up
for native
Linux, and tossed it in the fstab under /home.  What do ya know, even when
DOS has no clue that it exists, Linux takes over and recognizes it.

Any ideas why it works even though the BIOS has no idea anything above 1024
exists?

--
"Your information is mine for free.  But everything I can grab is secret
unless you  have something I want which can't  be free-loaded, stolen or

Parent Parent Parent

Child Child Child Child

Back to index