Re: A useful .COM proggy:

Article: 8657 of alt.hackers
From: tgschumm@mtu.edu (Thomas G. Schumm)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: A useful .COM proggy:
Date: 21 Sep 1995 11:44:57 -0400

in alt.hackers, David Hedley (hedley@inferno.cs.bris.ac.uk) wrote:
:>Michael Jarvis (mjarvis@qns2.qns.com) wrote:
:>: Well, if we're going to do SIMPLE com files, here's one.  It just
sends a
:>: formfeed to lpt1.  It's useful if you do a "type foo.txt >
lpt1" and your
:>: printer doesn't automagically send a formfeed.

:>: It's only 17 bytes:

:>: begin 755 ff.com
:>: 1LP2Q`;H0`;1`S2&X`$S-(0S]
:>: `
:>: end

:>Hmm, I usually just do: echo ^L > prn

:>(that's control-L for the newbies)

:>David
:>--
:> David Hedley (David.Hedley@bris.ac.uk)
:> http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~hedley/
:> finger hedley@cs.bris.ac.uk for PGP key
:> Computer Graphics Group | University of Bristol | UK
:> *** All opinions expressed are mine and mine alone ***

Let's see... that would be a minimum of 11 bytes in a batch file (with an @
at the beginning of the line to keep it quiet), and the com file is 17
bytes, but could be optimized down to at least 13 (he didn't use a ret to
quit!).  Here are two com files that change the number of text mode lines
on the screen to 28 and 50 respectively (I wrote them in about 10 seconds
just now, so they aren't my ObHack.)

begin 644 28.COM
*L`/-$+@1$<T0P\T0<
``
end

begin 644 50.COM
*L`/-$+@2$<T0P\T0=
``
end

ObLameFutureHack:
I want to be able to check to see if I have e-mail without having to
going to a lab or unlocking my dorm room and loging on.  The solution?
Put an LED in the peephole and have it light up or blink or something when
I have mail.  I could even have it blink differently depending on who sent
me the mail.  Of course, I don't want to devote some useful port to one
led, so I'll hook it up to my pc speaker pins and have a program control
that.  I'll probably have it hooked up through my key lock so that I can
use the speaker when I'm in the room.  I've also thought about hooking it
up to a floppy light; I haven't decided which would be better.

[====================================//==============================]
[ v3.1 GCS/M d-@ s:- a18 C++>++++$ //  Phong / the Coteric Continuum ]
[ US+>+++ P+ L>++++ W- N++ o+ K+ //   __/\__    @echo.|time|find
"u" ]
[ w--(+) !O M- PS PE Y-- PGP-  //     \    /     z(t+1) = z(t)^2 + C ]
[ t+>++@ 5@ X+ R- tv@ b+ DI+ // __/\__/    \__/\__    inc bx, inc bx ]
[ D++ G++ e h r--- x?>+++  // 1.26185951 Dimensional     e^i*pi = -1 ]

Parent Parent Parent

Child

Back to index