Re: Headers - (Was Re: First time - this better work)

Article: 8864 of alt.hackers
From: j-gebis@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph J Gebis)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Headers - (Was Re: First time - this better work)
Date: 17 Oct 1995 01:24:21 GMT

adept@dax.cs.wisc.edu (Mark McCullough) writes:
>My old (about 8 years now) stereo box started emitting a recurring
>white noise on all modes after I had it shipped.  Thinking that the
>thing had to be junked (it was very annoying), I decided to take it
>apart and try to learn a little.  Played with a few things before
>opening it up with no effect, but then after taking it apart, it
>worked fine.  It even worked when I put it back together.  :)

I don't know how many times this has happened to me.  I figure that
it just gives the evil spirits that have been building up a chance to
escape.  Or something.

Then again, maybe it's just me.  For some reason, a lot of times when I
walk by a computer that's been having problems, they disappear.  And
if the computer has been working fine, new problems appear.

Or perhaps it's just technology messing with my mind.

ObHack: this last summer I worked at a library.  One day when I wasn't
supposed to work, I got a frantic call asking me to come in.  The person
that did the payroll was on vacation, and no one knew how to work the
computer.
	I hadn't used the program that they normally used, but I saw
that the regular person had password-protected all the payroll files.
	"Well, I need the password to access these files."
	"Um -- we don't have it.  Can't you get around it?"
	As it turns out, there was a separate program to add new users.
When you created a new user, you could specify any access.  This separate
program wasn't password protected.  Create a new user, give it all the
privs, and that was it.

--
Joseph Gebis   j-gebis@uiuc.edu   http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~jg11772/home.html
			Censorship is un-American