Re: Topten help!

Article: 8888 of alt.hackers
From: thompson@obed-le0.cs.ualberta.ca (Christopher Thompson)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Topten help!
Date: 18 Oct 1995 20:16:57 GMT

Hammond Andrew (3ah21@qlink.queensu.ca) wrote:
: : Anyway, if anyone out there has a (humorous) topten (or top 100) list
: : of reasons to be in CompSci, *please* pass them along to me.  I'd really
: : appreciate it.  The list was due in last Friday [sigh].

: Have you tried ARCHIE and VERONICA yet?  What about one of the web
: searcher sites?

I haven't tried archie yet but I've used all the web search sites I could
find.  Webcrawler, Yahoo, Lycos, and many more.  With many different
search words.  NOTHING.  Nada.  Nothing at all showed up, at least nothing
remotely close to what I was looking for.

: That's not a hack!  Or, if it is, then it's really pushing the no hack is
: too small boundary.  You could have just done an anonymous ftp, no?

Nope.  Didn't work.

: What's wrong with tcsh's sched or cron?  Or don't you run UNIX
: on your home box?  If you're at all CS oriented, you might want to
: consider dedicating a little HD space to set it up.

I would.  But not enough ram.  Not enough disk space.  Not enough time.
And no nice CD-ROM drive (or one that isn't nice) to install it from.  And
I don't want to install from disk.

: Well, if you're running a real OS, say, Linux on your machine then this is
: the case all the time.   ;)

I'd love to run Linux.  Just give me the memory.  I don't have any money
to buy any.

Plea:  If you have any top ten lists remotely related to Computing
Science, PLEASE send them to me.  I'm far past desperate.

ObCheesyHack:  Damnit.  Now I have to think of one.  Well, this is
guaranteed to be pretty lame.

How about the yellow-pages book we use to get my answering machine to work?
It always sticks, gets jammed on the tape, when you turn the answer on.
When you hit it *really* hard with a yellow-pages book, it solves the
problem.  The answering machine is more than eight years old, I figure it's
quite amazing it's lasted this long.  Especially once we started hitting it.

ObAlmostAsCheesyHack:  I really wanted to take Psychology 104 this semester.
Because I didn't try registering until the end of August, *everything* was
full.  I had to go on waiting lists for all of my computer courses.  And
the psychology course that I wanted was full.  Registration deadline was
fast approaching so I signed up for an earlier class.  One that conflicted
with a lab I had for a different course.  Our telephone registration allows
us to do that.

The registration deadline came and went.  I started showing up to the
psyco 104 class that I *wanted* to be in.  I ignored the one starting at
8:00 am (god-aweful time) that conflicted with a lab.  Once the drop
deadline started approaching and the class had thinned out a little, I
went down to the psychology department and asked to be transferred
across sections.

They let me.  They wouldn't have if I hadn't already been registered in
a psychology course.

Now, to handle compute 204...  [sigh]

-=Christopher Thompson=-

Parent Parent