Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7717 of alt.hackers
From: ajry@st-and.ac.uk (Alistair James Robert Young)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: 26 Apr 1995 21:33:12 GMT

In article <grobsonD7KE78.2vD@netcom.com> grobson@netcom.com (Gary
D. Robson) writes:

   You're missing the point.  It would have cost IBM a quarter to throw in a
   5-1/4" boot disk, and it would have cost them *nothing* to provide a
   method for making a 5-1/4" boot disk, both of which would have allowed
   the installation to occur.  I don't care if I have to *use* 3-1/2"
   diskettes.  Heck, I like them better.  I just feel that I'm going to have
   to avoid recommending OS/2 to non-hacking friends with older boxes,
   because I don't want to have to go over to their houses and change their
   drives around!  That's no way to produce commercial products!

Well, OK, it wouldn't cost much. But I can see their point of view -
OS/2 works (in real terms, not officially) on 486/25s with at least
8Mb RAM. It runs on lesser machines, but slowly enough that I wouldn't
recommend it unless you're a) a power user, and b) broke; and I've
never seen a machine in that class sold with a 5.25" A: drive. Even
upgraded older machines tend to have a 3.5" drive fitted there and the
5.25" is relegated to drive B:.

Also, is it *possible* to fit an OS/2 boot disk into 1.2Mb? I'll have
to try it. I think it should be possible, but it'd certainly have to
be customised for the system (all the drivers certainly won't
fit!). That'll do as my next...

ObHack!: Writing a REXX script to telnet into the NNTP server and
issue the appropriate commands so that I can read News offline with
the Warp IAK. Has no-one written a decent OS/2 offline newsreader yet?

Alistair
--
Alistair Young - Arkane Systems Software Development & PC Consultancy
The opinions above are my company's, because I OWN it! [Team OS/2]

Parent gone

Child Child Child Child Child Child Child Child

Back to index