Re: OBHack...

Article: 7683 of alt.hackers
From: ats4@clarion.cec.wustl.edu (Alan  T Shutko)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: OBHack...
Date: 19 Apr 1995 09:14:18 GMT

<halo@news-server.engin.umich.edu> writes:
In article <3mq9rv$juk@srvr1.engin.umich.edu>
halo@news-server.engin.umich.edu (Johnny Yuma) writes:

J> says... 'In order to give you the easiest use of a modem possible,
J> We have included a 'Windows(r)' modem.  The Windows(r) modem is of
J> course very easy to use and GUI like, compared to the difficult to
J> use DOS modem.  From what I could see if it, it looked like a
J> semi-nice modem. (with v.32ter and stuff), but a Windows modem?!?!
J> Ohman... It refused to work in dos. :(

It sorta sounds like it was one of those "soft modems".... a DSP with
software to dowload into the modem to make it go.  And they never
bothered to write a driver for dos.  Annoying things.  Besides the
fact it won't work in any reasonable OS, the implementations I have
seen have been annoying... like a separate module for fax or
modem... have to switch manually....

ObHack:

I'm on a dynamically allocated PPP link....  Since I fancy myself cool
and run Linux, I like to run all the standard network services... ftp,
SMTP, http, etc.  However, the dynamic allocation messes things up, to
the extent that whenever I dial the modem, I have to run a script
which will sed in the new address in about ten different config files,
even update the /etc/hosts so some programs will work.  Then kill and
restart a couple daemons, because you can't tell sendmail to reread
it's cf.

Alan Shutko - Home of the Mighty Morphin' Power Sig - ats4@cec.wustl.edu
T h i s  t a g l i n e  i s  e n c r y p t e d !
GCS/S d? H s+:- g+ p?+ !au a-- w+(@) v+++(-) C++++ UL++++ P+>+++ L++ 3 E+++
  N++ K++ W--- M-- V-- -po+ Y+ t+ 5+++ j R G !tv D- B--- e+>++++ u h f
  r++ n-
  y+(**)

Parent Parent

Child