Re: Need info on connecting pager to pc.

Article: 7490 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: rogue@indirect.com (rogue)
Subject: Re: Need info on connecting pager to pc.
Sender: usenet@indirect.com (Internet Direct Admin)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 09:48:34 GMT

Greg Corey (gregc@fullfeed.com) wrote:
: In article <r0gue69@indirect.com> on Thu, 23 Feb 1995 00:17:22 GMT,
: rogue@indirect.com (rogue) wrote:

: >hello. i am curious on how one goes about hooking a motorola bravo
: >express pager to the pc. i know software exists that uses the com ports,
: >but i don't know if you would hook the pager directly to the com port, or
: >if you need some extra hardware inbetween the pager and the serial port.
: >any replies will be welcome.

: >obhack: i know i have done some of the things i have seen obhacks for,
: >        but i just never considered them particularly clever, or felt the
: >        need to tell the world.

: Well, first off, that's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen for an
: OBHack.  NO hack is too small unless it's NO HACK.  Post something you
: considered even minutely clever... you know, screwing in a screw with a pair
: of tweezers or something.  Geez.

my point is alot of the stuff i have seen is NO HACK.  i mean come on,
duct taping your throttle linkage? if the thing is broke, then that is
common sense (i did that one once). i did not post an obhack, because i
do not have a useful REAL one to post.

: Secondly, the only way you could really hook the pager up would be to know
: what the 6 or so pins that connect the two card parts are (at least, I'm
: assuming your Bravo Express is similar to my Bravo Plus)... since I can't
: even think of why you would WANT to hook a pager up to the PC, I'm forced to
: ask, are you mental or just trying a really funky hack with no clues?

i believe that the bravo plus has a connector inside the battery
compartment.  my pager does not.  i do not believe that you need the
pinouts for the connector for the card parts, but i have ordered the
schematics (or as close to them as they sell) from motorola. what i WANT
to do is to change the ring on my bravo express to a song.  and YES it
can be done. the motorola software has over 5 different rings to program
your pager to (and they are stored in a text file as some sort of
combination of frequency or length..but anyway software is the easy part)
, but guess what...they want $100 for the interface to the pc.

: Note:  If you're trying to get your PC to page you, just buy a voicemail
: modem and have it call you!  Boca makes a pretty inexpensive one that I've
: used for more than 8 months with no problems.

: Damn.  Such a useless thing.  Now I have to come up with an...
: OBWhenIGetTheTimeHack:

if that advice about getting a voicemail modem and the lecture about
obhacks was it, then you are correct. pretty much useless.

BTW, i have both a BOCA (the old 2400 baud modem, 14400 fax, voice) and a
maxtech 14400 fax/voice/modem. they both have software to page the pc,
although i don't see why you would need a voice modem when a normal modem
can input DTMF tones just fine. i hope your BOCA sounds better than mine,
because the quality of the recorded message is fairly poor. as this was
an early voice card, i'm sure they have improved it.

: I have a Maytag washer that doesn't spin or run when the lid is up.  It
: won't even fill with water.  This drives me nuts, because a properly
: balanced washer (which mine is) can run with no lid on at all and not splash
: more than a few droplets of water.

just out of curiousity, why do you want it to run with the lid up? this
could even be dangerous with certain kinds of pets/small children loose
in the house....hahahaheh.

--
rogue

gone Parent