Re: What is the problem with Finger? Hackaround

Article: 7551 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: Hans Baumgartner <hb@malibu.sarnoff.com>
Subject: Re: What is the problem with Finger? Hackaround
Sender: usenet@nova.sarnoff.com
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 16:07:23 GMT

In article <3l4nc5$207@illuminati.io.com> marlowe, marlowe@io.com writes:
> Finger was removed from the system by the administrators as a possible
>: security hole.

>So, I'll bite. Does anyone know what the security hole is in finger? I
>can understand not wanting to have anyone be able to finger in, but why
>wouldn't the admins what me to finger out?

Your admins are dorks.  As a finger proponent, here is the simple hack
around.
If you have telnet then removing /bin/finger is like hiding your house key
without closing the door!
Just type (where buddy@somesite.com is who you want to finger)
telnet somesite 79
when you connect to the remote system, type
buddy
(or buddy@somesite.com)
----Bingo, you have just fingered out!  You can construct a script to do
this.
...but don't call it finger or your admin will be unhappy.
This response is my tinyhack.  For more finger fun:
http://rsrch1.cit.cornell.edu:79/  hab3
(include the space before hab3)
---Hans

Parent