Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7720 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: cs92dy@exeter.ac.uk (D.Young)
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 11:27:22 GMT

In article <AJRY.95Apr26223312@edge2.st-and.ac.uk> ajry@st-and.ac.uk
writes:

>Well, OK, it wouldn't cost much. But I can see their point of view -
>OS/2 works (in real terms, not officially) on 486/25s with at least
>8Mb RAM. It runs on lesser machines, but slowly enough that I wouldn't
>recommend it unless you're a) a power user, and b) broke; and I've
>never seen a machine in that class sold with a 5.25" A: drive. Even
>upgraded older machines tend to have a 3.5" drive fitted there and the
>5.25" is relegated to drive B:.

Well sorry to break the news to you, but I'm sitting in a room with
seventeen Opus 486DX33 8Mb machines, all of which have the 3.5" drive
as B:, so they do exist.

As of IBM, if Linux can come with instructions and a workable means
of booting of either type of drive then OS/2 dang well should or IMHO
it's not of marketable quality.

ObHack:
This one goes back a long way...

I had a Spectrum +2 and Tetris. Tetris would always crash after about
thirty minutes (just as it was getting tricky and you had a decent score).
The problem appeared to be one of the custom chips overheating, so simple
solution involoved a stack of 1p (small diameter) and 2p (lareg diameter)
coins held together with grease on top of the chip. Took about 3 minutes
to implement after the problem was diagnosed and cost 14 pence.

Parent Parent Parent

Back to index