Re: Im a new lamer, testing

Article: 7865 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: nugget@dorite.use.com (David McNett)
Subject: Re: Im a new lamer, testing
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 16:26:45 GMT

adric@thelair.zynet.com (Pete Menning) writes:

>Obhack.  fixing a broken simm socket by rubberbanding the simm to the one
>next to it,  and using a peice of eraser to space it..

I can really appreciate this one.  I'll have to file it back for future
reference...

ObHack: Our telco provider at my office couldn't seem to get the function
working where my office telephone would page me on my pager when I would
receive a voicemail message.  Their system wouldn't selay properly, so
instead of being paged with my office number, I would get a two-second
"hangup" call on my pager's voicemail.  (Following me so far?)

The solution?  I plugged an old Prometheus Promodem 1200 into an unused
serial port on my linux box and wrote a program to monitor for a run.
I got distinctive ringing service from Bell and plugged a DRS box into
the promethius, to attach it to ring #2 on my voice line.  Now, when
the office phone calls, it calls my secondary number, the program detects
the ring and starts a task to ring my pager with an Alphanumeric page that
says "You have voice mail at the office."  Better service than
they could
provide because now I get a *real* alpha page...

-David McNett
 nugget@slacker.com
 http://www.iquest.net/~nugget

Parent