Re: rlogin revealed

Article: 8378 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: mad@mv.mv.com (White Trash)
Subject: Re: rlogin revealed
Sender: usenet@mv.mv.com (System Administrator)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 23:05:19 GMT

In article <3v60cb$ihq@CUBoulder.Colorado.EDU>,
Ben Cantrick (alias Macky Stingray) <cantrick@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>
<schlein@umbc.edu> wrote:
>>Whenever I use rlogin it appears on the 'w' command so other people
can see
>>what I'm doing. I know with telnet (at least at my site) aliases
with telnet
>>in it seem to hide exactly where I am connected to. Also with
telnet you
>>can use just the command and then apply an open call once inside. Does
>>anyone know how I can use rlogin who when people type 'w' they will not
>>see where I am connected to?
>
>  While I don't know of a way to hide the hostname you're going to, you
>can hide the program you're using. I used to do this with my M* client.
>It involves making a symbolic link. You make a symbolic link with a
>fake name linked to your rlogin program. For example...
>
>  If rlogin is in /usr/ucb/rlogin, and you want to appear to be using
>"my_prog" instead, do this:
>
>  ln -s /usr/ucb/rlogin ~/my_prog
>
>  Now make sure your home directory is in your path before any directory
>that has my_prog in it, and type "my_prog whatever.machine.xxx"
Even
>though you're using rlogin, on the 'w' list it will appear as:
>
>schlein   t1 umbc.edu       11:49am            1         my_prog
whatever.mach

>  This is not quite an ideal solution... they can still see where you're
>going. But with a well-chosen name, it can be decently effective against
>most people. Use 'nslookup,' for example. They'll think you're trying to
>look up the IP number of whatever host you're rlogining in to.

Aha... I was reading this article, and I got an easy solution:

Very similar to the above:

Create a file called whatever you want shown, say you want to be shown
using my_prog.  Make a file called my_prog and in it put this:

rlogin machine.com

Now, back at the shell prompt, type chmod u+x my_prog.  Then, type my_prog
at the prompt and you're on your way.  I don't think this will work under
BSDI, I can check if you really want me to, but I know it works under Linux.

--
 |  Only Amiga makes  |  Mike Dugas, aka White Trash  | Only Commodore     |

gone Parent

Child Child Child Child Child Child

Back to index