Re: What is this System? Help!

Article: 8437 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: hedley@inferno.cs.bris.ac.uk (David Hedley)
Subject: Re: What is this System? Help!
Sender: usenet@uns.bris.ac.uk (Usenet news owner)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 12:55:44 GMT

Jonathan Bodarky (jbodarky@leia.ursinus.edu) wrote:
: I Need some help... today, while running an NSLOOKUP on my domain name, I
: found something I didn't recognize... I pinged it, got 0ms turnaround.
: FTP is shut out.  Here is the results of a finger and a attempted telnet:
: >>>
: >>>
: >>>finger @ursprep

:     Line     User      Host(   Idle Location
: *  2 vty 0             idl        0 ACAD.URSINUS.EDU
: >>>telnet ursprep
: Trying... Connected to URSPREP.URSINUS.EDU.

: User Access Verification

: Password:
: Password:
: % Bad passwords

: Connection closed by Foreign host

: What is this????? Any Clues???
: ACAD is our main machine.

Looks like you've just telnetted to your local CISCO router.

ho hum

ObHack:

I was getting bored of waiting for my source code to recompile on one Sun,
so I hacked the Makefile to use a combination of rup and rsh to distribute
the compile to all machines it could find on the local network, using proper
load balancing etc. The result being enormous amounts NFS traffic, two pissed
off network administrators, but excellent compile times!

David
--
 David Hedley (David.Hedley@bris.ac.uk)
 http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~hedley/