Re: rlogin revealed

Article: 8389 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: gray@heimdal.ml.csiro.au (Randall Gray)
Subject: Re: rlogin revealed
Sender: news@ml.csiro.au
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 04:24:28 GMT

In article <DCnMsv.358@mv.mv.com> mad@mv.mv.com (White Trash) writes:
   In article <3v60cb$ihq@CUBoulder.Colorado.EDU>,
   Ben Cantrick (alias Macky Stingray) <cantrick@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>
   wrote:

	<snicker-snack -- request & discussion of hiding rlogins
	et al>

   Aha... I was reading this article, and I got an easy solution:

   Very similar to the above:

   Create a file called whatever you want shown, say you want to be shown
   using my_prog.  Make a file called my_prog and in it put this:

   rlogin machine.com

   Now, back at the shell prompt, type chmod u+x my_prog.  Then, type my_prog
   at the prompt and you're on your way.  I don't think this will work under
   BSDI, I can check if you really want me to, but I know it works under Linux.

I am not really casting flames here, but this really belongs in
alt.2600 or alt.hacker.  *Not* alt.hackers.  This group is about
*hacking*.  Read these posts and then compare them to some of the golden
hacks of yore (supplied on request).  Most notable recent hacks have
been by thomas@bitrot.in-berlin.de and khorton@tech.iupui.edu.

ObHack (mundane, but ...):

I had a vacuum cleaner that started to make a rather nasty noise
bearing wise.  After opening the beast, I discovered that the top
bearing could be replaced, but the bottom bearing was fixed.  So, out
with the drill and several moments later the rivets are gone and the
bearing is out.  Now came the problem of putting the new bearing in:
the rivets were rather special weren't they?  Not really enough room
for a nut and bolt either. Not even a pop-rivet (though at the time I
didn't have a pop-rivet gun. Moving parts doncha know.	Out comes the
bolt cutters and a bag of nails ... (you can see where this is leading
can't you?).

Nip the ends off the nails so that when assembled only a few
millimetres extends beyond the end of the assembly.  Then place the
head of the nail against a *very* firm, flat, relatively
incompressible surface and hit the nipped end of the nail a few times
(squarely) to flatten out another head.  Makes a dandy little rivet.

Oh, the vacuum cleaner?  T'was the bottom bearing that went.  Now I
have a replacement vacuum cleaner and two reasonably good bearings
just waiting for a project.

Randall Gray	gray@ml.csiro.au	CSIRO Division of Fisheries

gone Parent

Back to index