Re: rlogin revealed

Article: 8450 of alt.hackers
From: kimju@kontu.bbs.fi (Kimmo Jukarainen)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: rlogin revealed
Date: 22 Aug 1995 17:25:20 +0300
Sender: kimju@luola.kontu.bbs.fi

In article <40njob$jd@noc1.portland.net>,
beeble@river.biddeford.com (McArthur Library) wrote:
> Chris Sonnack (cjsonnack@mmm.com) wrote:
> : like mine (we have a nosy manager-wannabe co-employee who likes to
> : do a ps and see what we're doing...the dork also scans .sh_history
> : in our $HOME directories, if you can believe that crap!):

 what an asshole.. I might consider myself lucky, because my ISP is
 quite small, and has *great* sysadmin, who doesn't stick his nose on
 files that he shouldn't see..

> Well, I don't know about the task-hiding thing, but if your
"friend"
> (note sarcasm) likes to read your history file, perhaps you could put
> something in to delete said file on login. Then again, if you actually
> *use* your history features, this won't do you any good.

 well, I'm using bash, but this might work on other shells too..
 first of all, I don't need that history feature (remember your
 commands from last login..), so here is what I did:

 luola:~$ rm .bash_history
 luola:~$ cat > .bash_history   /* leave the file empty, or if you want */
          <ctrl-d>              /* piss him off, but some message
          there */
 luola:~$ chmod 400 .bash_history

 and so.. now bash just can't write to history file.. probably there
 is better way to do this, but this works for me...

> Hmmm.. Need an ObHack, need an ObHack... OK, here goes...

 and same here.. well, here is ObFoodHack:

 Week ago I was with my friends at Assembly'95 (the biggest demo scene
 meeting in Finland.. there were about 4250 people.. and about 1000 of
 them had took computer with..)  So, it started Thursday morning, and
 lasted to Sunday evening.. well, at Saturday evening one of us had bought
 a packet of small sausages, and was going to eat those.. As you could
 imagine, those didn't taste so good when cold, so we used tape to stick
 that packet on top of monitor for half an our.. after that those were
 just perfect to eat.. njam.. (not very elegant hack, but we hadn't sleep
 for over 60 hours, and we were hungry..)

 another obhack: this post <grin>.. well, actually it was quite a
 pain to get this through... Yarn doesn't allow editing headers..

Stalker
--
/* Kimmo Jukarainen   / Stalker@IRC #kontu / I don't smoke, send */
/* kimju@kontu.bbs.fi / finger for PGP-key / flames to /dev/null */