Re: Did I get in?

Article: 7807 of alt.hackers
From: "Steven M. Loranz" <sloranz@xantham.res-hall.nwu.edu>
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Did I get in?
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 11:41:41 -0500

On 12 May 1995, Jeremy Todd Dilatush wrote:

> Steven M. Loranz (sloranz@xantham.res-hall.nwu.edu) wrote:
> : didn't want.  I know...this is lame and is well known amongst the UNIX
> : gods...but I felt good that I could fix it without too much thought
>
> Using "cat" to edit a file is damn simple (I do it because
I'm too lazy often
> to fire up emacs or learn vi) ... using it when you need to fix something
> should count as a hack, though.
>
> A _real_ hack is when you don't have "cat" so you write a script
> (ObHack:)
> #!/bin/sh
> tee /dev/null

Ouch!!!  Damn...I said I knew it was lame...I even put a question mark
after the ObHack to stress that...but I couldn't think of anything
recently that was a way to fix a problem.

So what did you write the script with if you didn't use an editor and
didn't have cat?

ObLearningHack: Trying to finish a backfinger that uses RFC931 and
compliant.  When I get it working properly (Hey I'm hopefull) I'll give
it a very simple X window kinda like xbiff or xconsole.

Steve Loranz                             sloranz@nwu.edu
          http://bohica.nsg.nwu.edu/~sloranz/                 \\||//
  Network Services Group - Network Analyst/UNIX support         oO
             Resnet Residential Consultant                    ()^()
                                                               (U)
 *** By the way... My views are Mine and mine alone. ***
 *** NSG & Northwestern University cannot have them. ***

Parent Parent

Child Child Child

Back to index