Sam Trenholme's webpage

Re: Backwards Message Hack

Article: 7362 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: steve@starport.COM (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Subject: Re: Backwards Message Hack
Sender: (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 05:09:31 GMT

In article <3hlce4$> (Michael
John Haisma) writes:

   Unix Question: Yet again I prove my incompetence with the Unix environment.
   I can't figure out why the command(s)

   ps -aux|grep <process name>|grep -v grep|cut -f2 -d" "|kill

   Won't kill the process(es) with that name.  If I leave off the kill, the
   command returns the pid(s) correctly, but kill says "too few

Because kill wants pids on the command line, and doesn't even *look* at
stdin.	Try:

   kill `ps -aux|grep <process name>|grep -v grep|cut -f2 -d"

"du | xdu" gives a nice graphical display of disk usage -- it's
a multicolumn
barchart with a column for each level, and the height of each directory's bar
is proportional to its disk usage.

But what I really wanted was line counts in a multimodule C++ program.	So,

     wc -l */*.[ch] | grep -v total | xdu -title "something
     xwd -frame | xpr -device ps | lpr

made a great transparency for a report to management.

 /   --Steve Savitzky--   /  The MandelBear at Grand Central Starport	   /__
/ h: steve@starport.COM  /		  /___
 \___Cyberspace: an alternate universe where magic works.__Free Cyberia!___\__

gone gone

Back to index