Re: Newsgroup mimicry

Article: 8836 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: carlton@gopher.ccbr.umn.edu (Carlton Hogan)
Subject: Re: Newsgroup mimicry
Sender: news@news.cis.umn.edu (Usenet News Administration)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:55:28 GMT

In article <GUpewwyjtIZS084yn@mail.msen.com>, brain@mail.msen.com (Jim
Brain) wrote:

>In article <44uvsp$3jt@fullfeed.msn.fullfeed.com>,
>gregc@msn.fullfeed.com (Greg Corey) wrote:
>> markr@taipan (Mark Richer) wrote:
>>
>> >Tyrone L Cartwright (tyrone@whimsy.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>>
>> >Yikes! I wonder if someone could legally sell a newsreader
software that
>> >provided this feature. I tried to call myself a newbie yesterday
and a
>> >friend stopped me...said I had to at least be a novice. I
suppose a day
>> >will soon come when even I start to refer to "the golden
age of the
>> >net"...back before there were 1-900 number ads on alt.hackers
>>
>> There are two newsreaders that provide a feature like that.
They're called
>> Agent and Free Agent.  I will NOT, however, tell you how to
"activate" that
>> feature, as the author has very carefully set up the default
configuration
>> to NOT allow two header types (con & app) to appear to most
newbies.
>> However, one little configuration change and those headers become
one of the
>> "all fields" that you can modify.
>
>Ad YARN to the list, and it makes it blatant.  Tis why I use it to post the
>FAQs in comp.sys.cbm.  Makes it trivial to add the info for passage
in news.
>answers and comp.answers.

Add lots of newsreaders! TRN on unix and YA Newswatcher on Mac for two...

>ObHack:
We use CAP AUFS as a unix file server to our mac network. The mac file
system decrees that a single mac file is mapped as triple (data, resource,
finder) on the unix side. Some of our users need to get work while they
are home, but the built in macbinary and binhex utilities suck. So I wrote
an applescript that made intelligent guesses as to type and creator that
ran on the remote machine. For most documents, the data fork is null.
Stuffed applications as well (Stuffit on Unix works a lot better than
capit) So they can at least get them home, recognizable by the mac finder.

Next ob hack:
Getting it to work the other direction

 | Carlton Hogan  (carlton@gopher.ccbr.umn.edu)                        |
 | Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS Statistical Center |
 | Coordinating Center for Biometric Research                          |
 | Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health                  |
 | University of Minnesota                                             |
 | 2221 University Ave SE, Suite 200         Voice: (612) 626 8899     |
 | Minneapolis  MN 55414                     FAX: (612) 626 8892       |
   Affiliation Provided for Sake of Identification, not Representation

gone gone Parent gone gone gone

Back to index