Re: Electronic Highway Signs

Article: 7665 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: grobson@netcom.com (Gary D. Robson)
Subject: Re: Electronic Highway Signs
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 20:42:11 GMT
Sender: grobson@netcom16.netcom.com

marlowe (marlowe@io.com) wrote:
: We wanted to close captioned the class for the thinking impaired, but the
: prof who would have thought it was cool died...

You got me thinking back to the lack of profs who thought such things
were cool when I was in college (how's *that* for a convoluted
sentence?), and it made me recall this

ObHack:
A friend and I scrounged up an aquarium pump, a conical taillight from an
old (60's) American car, a large capacitor, a toggle switch, a momentary
switch, a small light bulb, a 9v battery, and some 4" x 1/2"
metal plates.

We attached the plates around the housing of the aquarium pump (which was
about 4" high and 3" in diameter), so that they weren't touching each
other.  The cap was placed inside the housing (we removed the pump
itself), and set to charge using a regulator hooked to the 110 power cord.
We hooked the + side to every other metal plate, and the - side to the
remaining ones through a momentary switch on the bottom of the housing, so
that it was quite difficult to lift the pump housing without touching at
least one + and one - plate.  The momentary switch was set so that it was
open when the pump housing was set on a flat surface, closed when lifted.

We then hooked up a 9v battery, the timing circuit (forgot to mention that
in the parts list above), the switch, and a lightbulb, completely
independant of the other circuit, and placed it under the red taillight
cover, which we mounted on top of the housing.

All that remained was to set it on a table with a sign saying "do not
lift," and turn on the switch.  There it sat, with the little light
blinking.  We sat back and watched.  The best response was the fellow who
touched it gently (no problem).  He then carefully unplugged it.  The
light kept blinking.  He flipped the toggle switch and the light
stopped.  Mightily pleased with himself, he then picked it up and got zapped.

We were awfully easily amused back then...

--
 |   Internet: grobson@netcom.com | "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway. |

Parent

Back to index