Re: Hacker FAQ / other stuff

Article: 7688 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: grobson@netcom.com (Gary D. Robson)
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ / other stuff
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 05:56:59 GMT
Sender: grobson@netcom14.netcom.com

Joseph Clancy (jclancy@vanbc.wimsey.com) wrote:
: I'll one-up you: doing a similar thing, but on a computer that didn't
: have a 3 1/2" drive.  I brought over a computer that did have the
: appropriate drive, and reached the cables over between the (open) cases.

Reminds me of a problem I ran into putting a new hard drive into my old
Mac II, which required this

ObHack:
   I needed to copy the data from the old drive to the new one, but the
case was only set up for a single hard disk.  I didn't have the power or
data cabling necessary to deal with the problem, so I borrowed another Mac
II (this was at the office - we had several), replaced its hard drive with
my new one, set the SCSI ID to 3, disconnected its SCSI connector from the
motherboard, and hooked the two Macs together with an external SCSI cable.
This let my Mac use the other machine as an external hard drive.  All I
had to do was copy all the data across, put my new drive in my Mac, and
put the other one back the way I found it.

   I know - I could have just used Appletalk to do that, but I didn't
particularly want to wait a couple of fortnights for the data to transfer!
--
 |   Internet: grobson@netcom.com | "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway. |

Parent Parent Parent Parent gone

Back to index