Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)

Article: 7711 of alt.hackers
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
From: grobson@netcom.com (Gary D. Robson)
Subject: Re: Hacker FAQ (please comment and help fix)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 00:18:44 GMT
Sender: grobson@netcom12.netcom.com

Alistair James Robert Young (ajry@st-and.ac.uk) wrote:
: This isn't really IBM's fault - at least, not the OS/2 writers. AFAIK,
: there's *NO* way whatsoever to persuade a PC to boot from anything
: other than the first hard drive or floppy drive A:. Blame the PC
: designers.

You're missing the point.  It would have cost IBM a quarter to throw in a
5-1/4" boot disk, and it would have cost them *nothing* to provide a
method for making a 5-1/4" boot disk, both of which would have allowed
the installation to occur.  I don't care if I have to *use* 3-1/2"
diskettes.  Heck, I like them better.  I just feel that I'm going to have
to avoid recommending OS/2 to non-hacking friends with older boxes,
because I don't want to have to go over to their houses and change their
drives around!  That's no way to produce commercial products!

ObHack:
   Wiring a photodiode into the joystick port of an Apple ][ and hooking
it up outside the door, so the computer can detect people walking up to
the house.  No practical use that I could think of (there are much better
ways of doing burglar alarms), but it was fun for parties.

--
 |   Internet: grobson@netcom.com | "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway. |

Parent Parent gone

Child Child Child Child Child