Re: Topten help!

Article: 8897 of alt.hackers
From: ats@hubert.wustl.edu (Alan Shutko)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Topten help!
Date: 19 Oct 1995 12:54:59 -0500
Sender: ats@hubert.wustl.edu

<thompson@obed-le0.cs.ualberta.ca> writes:

CT> Hammond Andrew (3ah21@qlink.queensu.ca) wrote:

>> What's wrong with tcsh's sched or cron?  Or don't you run UNIX on
>> your home box?  If you're at all CS oriented, you might want to
>> consider dedicating a little HD space to set it up.

CT> I would.  But not enough ram.  Not enough disk space.  Not enough
CT> time.  And no nice CD-ROM drive (or one that isn't nice) to
CT> install it from.  And I don't want to install from disk.

Gee.  You have less than two megs of RAM?  I'm sorry!

But you don't need a CD-ROM to install Linux.  You can make do with
lots of disks (which I did in the first place), but a much nicer
method is to NFS mount wuarchive.wustl.edu and nfs install from
there.	It is slower than CD but just as easy, and you don't have to
pick up a drive somewhere.  I've done t a few times.

ObCalculatorHack:

I found out on my (now defunct) Casio FX-5000f calculator that there
was a way to use the line editor to edit memory.

The FX-5000 allowed you to string programs by doing a Prog 1:Prog 3
type thing.  If the second Prog was actually a syntax error (ie, Prog
3:Prog X) the calculator would barf and when you hit a cursor to edit
the error, dump you into the editor with a lot of funny characters.  A
little investigation showed that you could look at most of the
calculators memory in that buffer, and edit it.  Overwriting things
was safe, but deleting or inserting characters messed the program
memory up enough that a hard reset with a pencil on that back button
was necessary to be able to clear the now horribly munged programs.

Parent Parent

Back to index