Re: Printing Hack

Article: 7571 of alt.hackers
From: Gopi D Flaherty <gf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Printing Hack
Date: Sat,  1 Apr 1995 00:30:57 -0500

Here's some info on the Mac serial port.  Note that I have not verified
this myself, since I've never needed to actually make my own cables/etc
(always had enough adapters lying around).  The voltage levels are +/-
3v.  Most (decent) cables have two twisted pairs, for the two
differential lines.

Numbers in () are for Mini-Din connector

RCV(-) 9 (5)
RCV(+) 8 (8)
TX(-)  5 (3)
TX(+)  4 (6)
GND    3 (4)

  >> CONNECTORS

DB-9 (female, looking at the rear of the Mac)

       5   4   3   2   1
      --------------------
      \O   O   O   O   O/
       \ O   O   O   O /
         -------------
         9   8   7   6

MINI DIN - 8 (female looking at the rear of the Mac)

            -------   INSIDE NOTCH ("N")
          (    N    )
        (  O   O   O  )
       (   8   7   6   )
       (  O     O   O  )
        ( 5     4   3 )
      2  (   O   O   )  1
            --------
               N      OUTSIDE NOTCH

Now for the challenge: finding a driver that will let you print to that
printer.  The mac isn't big on generic printer drivers.  All I can
suggest, short of dumping text files through a terminal emulator, is
using the ImageWriter driver in _draft_ mode.  In the standard modes, it
prints graphics codes, but in the fastest/worst of the three modes, it's
just text, with maybe a few control codes interspersed.

Oh, I did just post, didn't I?  Time for a lame

ObLameMinibusHack:
I saw somebody post earlier about breaking into some type of bus.  At my
high school, one of our older minibusses had _terrible_ security.  One
of the side windows slid open sideways, if you could flip the latch open
enough.  All you had to do was stick something thin like a Swiss Army
Knife (mine only leaves my side when I sleep or fly on a plane, since
they always think I might try to hijack the plane with it or something
:-) in to slightly displace the latch.  Then, with dry hands you needed
to slide the window open (it was pretty stiff).  Once the little side
window was open, you could swing inside and open all the other doors.  I
was usually waiting around before the teacher would arrive with the
keys, so it was always fun to be sitting around inside the bus.

Since that's a pretty lame hack, here's another one:
ObFanHack:
Well, it's suddenly gotten really warm.  All the windows are open, and
it's still too warm.  I have a big fan, but I've rearranged my room over
the winter, so there's nowhere to put it within reach of a plug.  I
don't have an extension cord either (most of my gear is at home, not in
my campus dorm).  However, I do have _part_ of an extension cord.  I
have the socket end of one, but no plug (I cut it off to make a US->UK
adaptor a few weeks ago).  I also have a standard removable computer
cord.  So, I strip off the ends of the extension cord socket (most of
the cord was still attached).  I stick the bare ends into the computer
cord, and coat it liberally with electrical tape.  Perfect!  If an
electrician ever looked in my room, he'd have a heart attack.  Soon to
come: double-ended extension cord for my 220v transformer!  Perfectly
safe unless you unplug it :)
It's lame too, but it's all I can think of for now :(

[       Gopi Flaherty      |  The optimist proclaims that we live   ]
[    gf2e@andrew.cmu.edu   |  in the best of all possible worlds;   ]
[  Computer Science major  |  the pessimist fears this is true.     ]
[    GCS n+ d++ H s g+ !p0+ !au a19 w- v+ C++ ?U+ P? !W---          ]
[         L 3 E- N+ M++ !V po@ Y+ t- !5 !j R- G'' !tv               ]

Parent

Back to index