Re: Time to remove alt.hackers.malicious

Article: 8591 of alt.hackers
From: buhr@stat.wisc.edu (Kevin Buhr)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Time to remove alt.hackers.malicious
Date: 17 Sep 1995 17:35:10 -0500
Sender: buhr@mozart.stat.wisc.edu

In article <43f9mu$fsg@fullfeed.msn.fullfeed.com>
gregc@msn.fullfeed.com (Greg Corey) writes:

| Essentially, this will tell you how to cancel a message posted by anyone at
| any site.  This allows you to end net.spam the moment you see it.
|
| 59 6F 75 20 73 69 6D 70 6C 79 20 63 68 61 6E 67 65 20
		.
		.
| 73 65 74 74 69 6E 67 73 2E

IMHO, this is a bad way to control spam.  First, it fails to follow
the "cyberspam" and "cancel." conventions.	Hence,
there's no way for
those strange enough to *want* to filter spam-cancels out to do so,
and the flood of cancels could end up producing more of a load than
the spam itself.  Second, it fails to provide any accountability---no
message is posted to "news.admin.net-abuse.announce", and no
"X-Cancelled-By" header is included in the cancel.

Third, it may simply not work.	According to RFC 1036, the "verified
sender" of a message is the "Sender" line or else the
"From" line if
no sender is present.  The "verified sender" of the cancel message
must be the same as either the "Sender" or "From" field
of the
original message in order for RFC1036-compliant news servers to cancel
the message.  Some (non-compliant) news servers require both the
"Sender" *and* the "From" field to match, or the cancel
is discarded.
It's easy to screw it up.

Since people like Chris Lewis do such an incredibly good job of
killing spams, a better solution is probably to post a copy of the
spam, with full headers, to "news.admin.net-abuse.misc", and
let those
folks go to work on it.

Just my two cents...

ObHack:  On a related note, I'm very proud of my "findspam" Perl
script, which reads a driver file like the following

>> Server: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
>> Backup-File: backup
>> Cancel-File: cancel
>> NoCeM-File: nocem
>> Search-Header: From		  # the main header to match
>> Search-Regexp: ^spammer\@spams\.are\.us

>> Subject: ^RADICAL WAREZ 4 SALE$

>> EMP/ECP (aka SPAM) cancelled by buhr@stat.wisc.edu
>>
>> See news.admin.net-abuse.announce for further details.

and then searches the newsspool via NNTP (using XOVER or, if that's
unsupported, XHDR) and generates (1) a backup copy of all articles
found, (2) a NoCeM-format list of article IDs, and (3) a file full of
cancel messages based on the template.

I use a much simpler script to actually post the cancels.

AFAIK, it's not as sophisticated as Chris Lewis's setup, but I have
used it to clean up a large scale spam or two when he hasn't been
around.  ;)

Kevin <buhr@stat.wisc.edu>

Parent

Back to index