Re: Minewsweeper solver

Article: 7769 of alt.hackers
From: vilkata@iastate.edu (Dan Black)
Newsgroups: alt.hackers
Subject: Re: Minewsweeper solver
Date: 7 May 95 07:47:30 GMT

In <D80yoG.F9I@scu.edu.au> dmaund10@scu.edu.au (Bushy) writes:

>There is actually a cheat for Minesweeper. I forget what the key
combination
>is, but its about 5 keys. This enable a single pixel to turn on/off
when the
>mouse cursor is over the top of a box that contains a mine.
>You need to close everything except minwsweeper to see the single pixel, in
>the top right(?) hand corner.

Don't want to sound like a complete stereotypical computer nerd, but
somebody showed me that a few weeks ago, and I remember the combination:

Type:
x y z z y [shift] [enter] [enter]
(don't hold [shift] down; just press it like a normal key)

This turns it on or off again.  The pixel is in the upper-lefthand
corner.  The nifty thing about this is that you can mark all of the
mines without actually opening any other spaces without starting the
clock, so then you just go click all the areas not flagged and get
really good finishing times.

Don't know if that qualified as a hack since somebody else mentioned it
first, so I'll include a non-computer one for good measure:

There's a Jeep dealership in the next town (about 10 miles away), and a
couple friends and I went in once and tried to get the 1995 Jeep Book.
Of course, these are pretty popular items, and they don't like giving
them out to every college kid who asks, so they told us they were out
and didn't know when they'd get more.  After going in again later and
getting the same response, one of the other guys had his girlfriend go
in later to get one.  They gave her the same story, but she just said,
"No, you don't understand.  I want a Jeep Book NOW."  And they got it
for her.  :)  But since I'm a guy, I knew that wouldn't work for me.  So
I had a sudden inspiration as I was driving nearby one day, so I went in
and told them my _dad_ told me to pick him up a Jeep Book!  Of course,
they have no way of knowing; my dad could be a regular customer there,
and they don't want to piss off parents who pay a lot of money!  So the
jerk trudged off dutifully into the back office to get me a Jeep Book.
After they had given me the runaround before, it was almost as much fun
to see the defeated, pissed-off looks on their faces as it was to
actually get the Jeep Book!  :)
--
Dan Black                               vilkata@iastate.edu
YIKES!