Support this website or
listen to my music
Scientific Linux 6 on a S10-3
July 16 2011
I have installed Scientific Linux 6 on my Lenovo S10-3 netbook and everything
, albeit with some effort. Some issues I had:
- Updating the kernel causes the system to crash at boot time.
The workaround is to use an older kernel that doesn't crash; right
now I'm using OpenVZ's
older 2.6.32-042test008 kernel.
- The Broadcom wifi driver needs to be downloaded and installed from
Broadcom's web site. I'm using a file called
One gotcha is to make sure there are no spaces anywhere in the path
to this file or it won't compile. Networking is actually better in
Linux than in Windows.
- Some S10-3 computers have an Atheros wifi card instead of a Broadcom
one; this card also has Linux-compatible drivers.
- Setting the screen brightness requires an incantation like
setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=ff (full brightness) or
setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=80 (half brightness).
- The 32-bit static Skype client works on the 64-bit kernel after
installing all of the 32-bit compatibility libs.
- The system doesn't come with mp3 codecs, because of the patent issues.
To post a comment about an entry, send me an email and I may or may
not post your comment (with or without editing)